Monday, January 4, 2016

2016 Reading Challenges


I'm not sure about anyone else but setting some reasonable reading goals really helps me stay on target and strive towards reading a little more each year. Beyond that I really enjoy being able to check in from time to time to see how I'm doing and reassess the books I've read at the end of the year to see how far I've come. I sometimes forget what books I've read when and looking back always gives me a little happy jolt of remembrance. Last year I didn't quite meet all my goals so I've tempered it back a little for 2016, hoping to challenge myself but not set myself up for automatic failure. So here are the challenges I'm joining for 2016 and the goals I hope to meet:


Goodreads Reading Challenge




Last year I missed my Goodreads reading challenge goal of 55 books, so this year I've pushed it back to 50. This will still be a challenge for me as I'm not the fastest reader and finding time to read with a full time job and an active (and sometimes lovingly distracting) family can be nearly impossible. Combine all this with the extra time running the blog takes and I just don't have as much reading time as I'd like. However, like so many other readers, I always make the time each day to read at least a little bit, so I think this is something I can manage. I'll be tracking my progress on Goodreads HERE, and if you are on Goodreads I really recommend signing up for the challenge as well. So many readers join in and it is a really supportive group of people.




Historical Fiction Reading Challenge





I've been doing the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge for a number of years now as historical fiction is my favorite genre, making this an easy challenge to complete for me. Last year the challenge was hosted by one of my absolute favorite blogs, Passages to the Past. If you aren't following Amy's blog and you love historical fiction than you are really missing out. Anyways, last year I signed up to complete the Ancient History level, which means I needed to read at least 25 historical fiction novels. I went way above that but I'm going to stick with this level as I don't think I can possibly make it to the next (Prehistoric: 50+ historical fiction books). Even if you don't sign up for this challenge (the lowest level starts at 2 books read in 2016 so if you read historical fiction at all you can find a level for you) you can follow along with the challenge and read lots of wonderful reviews by bloggers and reviewers across the sub-genres of historical fiction.



So tell me: do you like to sign up for challenges? If you do, what challenges are you looking to complete this year?   



4 comments:

  1. I signed up for the Historical Fiction Challenge once and failed. I have signed up for the cozy mystery challenge at just one book and a month and the Double Dog Dare one which only runs until March 31st. That is to cut into my TBR books on my shelves.http://jamesreadsbooks.com/tbr-dare-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of the Double Dog Dare, but if it's meant to eliminate books from the TBR shelves then that's one I need :)! Thanks Carol!

      Delete
  2. I'm a little bit over the challenges. I'll do the Goodreads just because I love how it keeps track of all of the books. I like seeing that summary at the end. I really just want to get back to reading books that I want to read and try to get to some of the ones that have been on my shelves for far too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you, Kimberly. I see so many challenges that float around, some of which I think would be really fun, but I just can't read fast enough to make most of them a success....I can't read that much in a year!

      Delete