Thursday, July 13, 2017

Cover Crush: The Broken Girls by Simone St. James

Hello, my name is Colleen and I am a cover slut. I know, I know....you aren't supposed to judge a book by it's cover. I just can't help myself! A beautiful cover draws my eye every single time and I can't help but pick up the book it's dressing and see if the inside seems as intriguing as the outside. Sometimes it does, and sometimes a pretty cover is just a pretty cover. Either way, I love getting an eyeful! 


One of my favorite bloggers, Erin at Flashlight Commentary, created a weekly blog post called Cover Crush and she and some other blogger friends are sharing their favorite covers each Thursday. I've decided to join in this year and will link to their posts down below.


So, without further ado, my Cover Crush this week is.....






I have to admit that I've been a big fan of every single one of Simone St. James's covers. This, combined with the alluring book descriptions, has led me to purchase every single one of her novels even when I've still not yet read any of them. That might sound weird, but I've just heard such good things about her spine-tingling stories and her covers draw me in so much that I seem to push the "buy" button before I can help myself (I told you I had a problem!). I'm sure this book will be no different!

What I love most about this particular cover is the blurry building in the background, surrounded by what looks to be broken glass and/or decaying overgrowth. It creates such an eerie feeling of dilapidation and ruin. And clearly something sinister must have happened in that building! The muted colors lead me to the same conclusions and all in all it creates a definitively creepy feelings.

So what might have happened in that building? Let's read to find out....



Vermont, 1950. There’s a place for the girls whom no one wants-—the troublemakers, the illegitimate, the too-smart-for-their-own-good. It’s called Idlewild Hall. And in the small town where it’s located, there are rumors that the boarding school is haunted. Four roommates bond over their whispered fears, their budding friendship blossoming—until one of them mysteriously disappears...

Vermont, 2014. As much as she’s tried, journalist Fiona Sheridan cannot stop revisiting the events surrounding her older sister’s death. Twenty years ago, her body was found lying in the overgrown fields near the ruins of Idlewild Hall. And though her sister’s boyfriend was tried and convicted of murder, Fiona can’t shake the suspicion that something was never right about the case.

When Fiona discovers that Idlewild Hall is being restored by an anonymous benefactor, she decides to write a story about it. But a shocking discovery during the renovations will link the loss of her sister to secrets that were meant to stay hidden in the past—and a voice that won’t be silenced…



Don't forget to check out what covers my blogger buddies are drooling over this week:





Created by Magdalena of A Bookaholic Swede



2 comments:

  1. Colleen, I had to comment because I have done the exact same thing with Simone St. James- between the covers and the great reviews, I have had to buy them all- all still unread, too. But we will get to them eventually, right?! And this new cover is a stunner, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes!!! I have all of them and haven't read one yet :)! I just know I'm going to love them, though, so I don't feel bad ;)! Thanks so much for commenting!!!

      Delete